Instant Pot Sweet Potato Bisque
A tasty way to eat veggies 🙂
First off, there are so many reasons to love having an Instant Pot, but one of the best ones for me is the level of work that it saves me. When I make this soup, I don’t mince the ginger, I just slice it, and the onions I go full lazy and chop into bigger pieces instead of dicing. By the time the Instant Pot works its magic and I’ve pureed everything, all that extra slicing and dicing wasn’t needed anyway.
- 2 lbs. sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 4 small carrots, peeled and chopped (optional)
- 1 can (13.5 oz unsweetened coconut milk)
- 1 cup water
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground cardamom
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. Redmond Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Pepper
- Set the Instant Pot to “sauté”. Add olive oil and onion to the pot, stirring until softened, about 3-4 minutes. Add in the garlic and ginger and stir for another minute.
- Press “cancel” to turn off the Instant Pot. Add the remaining ingredients: sweet potatoes, carrots, spices, coconut milk, and water to the pot. Mix well so the ingredients get distribute throughout the pot.
- Seal the Instant Pot and cook at high pressure for 8 minutes. After it is ready, allow natural pressure release for 10 minutes before applying a quick pressure release to completely depressurize (until floating valve drops).
- Open the Instant Pot and give the soup a stir. Use an immersion blender or high-powered blender, (or I just used a hand-held mixer) and blend the soup until it is completely smooth.
- Taste for additional salt and pepper (or other seasonings). For an extra level of satiety, serve soup with a 1/2 cup of brown rice put in each bowl of soup.